Tuesday, February 8, 2011

"Of rats and dogs" (sorry to John Steinbeck)


How many of them are there up there?


It seems that my earlier optimism about the cessation of rat activities was rather misplaced. I realised this yesterday morning when mum and dad emerged from the bedroom end of the house looking more ragged than usual. This was on account of having had very little sleep because of further attic rearranging activities going on above their heads all night long (apparently! - not that I noticed). Now as we had already removed one of the little so and sos, this implied the presence of at least one more.

Not wanting my reputation as Chief Vermin Control Officer tarnished any further, mum and dad were promptly dispatched for reinforcements and returned a short time later with more poisons and traps. Having distributed same generously in the roof space, we all settled down rather tentatively last night to see what would happen. The night was, however, once more disturbed by noises from above, although this time less mobile and intermittent. Some sleep was achieved by all.

This morning dad inspected the attic once again to check traps etc but to no avail. We were all baffled. Imagine my surprise, then, later this afternoon when I rounded the corner of the house to come face to face with another one - this time stone dead. It seems at least some of the preventive measures had been successful.

However, even as I write this more sounds are emerging from above so god knows how many of them there are up there. I will keep you posted.

No comments: